Low Carb Cottage Pie
Serves 6 - each giving 850kJ, 20g protein, 8g carbs and 5g fibre
This is the same as a meal replacement shake but so tasty! Of course you can bulk it out more with free vege eg capsicum, carrot, zucchini etc, or simply serve with a side salad if needed.
- 1/2 cauliflower
- 25g of butter
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of parmesan
- 400g lean beef mince
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 carrot
- 200g mushrooms
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 2 tsp of white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- Tbs of plain flour
- As much herbs as you like. Oreganno and Thyme go well.
1. Steam cauliflower until soft. Mash or put in the food processor. Mix in milk and melted butter. Season with salt and keep warm.
2. Cook mince until cooked through, around five minutes. Drain off any fat. Put asside. Cook onions, carrots and mushrooms until tender. Add back in the mince and sprinkle over the flour. Combine.
3. Add stock, sauce, garlic and paste to the pan. Bring to simmer and cook until the sauce coats the meat and liquid reduces slightly. Season with salt and pepper
4. Put mince mixture into a oven dish and add the mash on top. Sprinkle some more herbs, salt and pepper and the parmesan on top.
5. Grill for 5-10 minutes.
Works great in the freezer for those lazy nights.